Monday, May 21, 2012

Unit 9 Final Project






                                           Introduction

Why is it important for health and wellness professionals to develop psychologically, spiritually and physically?

I must look the part or clients will not believe in my abilities to help them with physical wellness.  As a health and wellness professional it is important to live by what we teach our clients. Additionally we must approach life with an open mind and continue our learning experiences psychologically, spiritually and physically (Dacher, 2006)

What areas do you need to develop to achieve the goals you have for yourself?

I need to get in shape, and also greatly reduce the amount of stress I am under.  I need to develop a comprehensive plan on how to do this, treating each part of my “whole” body.

                                            Assessment

How have you assessed your health in each domain?

For assessment purposes I will rate my physical, spiritual, and psychology wellness on a sliding scale between one and ten.

How do you score your wellness spiritually, physically, and psychologically?

My physical well-being is a four. This is a four since I just recently developed type II diabetes.

My spiritual well-being is a seven. I have the need to connect on a higher level. I do attend a church but not as regularly as I would like to.

My stress level is quite high so I would have to say I am a five in the psychological well-being category. I foster loving kindness with my family and friends. I try not to have people in my life that are hostile or negative. Additionally I do not worry about situations that cannot be changed. Life is full of opportunities and I live life with a positive and optimistic approach!

Goal development

List at least one goal you have for yourself in each area, Physical, Psychological (mental health) and Spiritual.

            For my physical well-being I plan on continuing my walking as a part of my plan to get in shape.

            For my spiritual well-being I plan on attending church more regularly, I was raised in a family where it was never a question of going to church, and I have to regain that.

            For my psychological health I plan to do meditation for 20-30 minutes a day, using deep breathing and quiet mind exercises to lessen my stress

.                                   Practices for personal health

What strategies can you implement to foster growth in each of the following domains; Physical, Psychological, and Spiritual. Provide at least two examples of exercises or practices in each domain. Explain how you will implement each example.

An example of an exercise to help regain physical wellness would be to have a great workout routine. The program should contain both cardio and strength training. By including both in our physical wellness routine we ensure our bones and muscles stay strong from weight training and the heart and cardiovascular system are healthier from the endurance of a cardio workout.  Find a friend to use as a partner in your workout routine, this is a great way to beat boredom.  Additional benefits from exercise help lessen health risks such as heart disease and diabetes.

Some find that meditation eases the stress and calms the mind, thus helping us be in a better "state of mind." I plan to meditate each day for twenty- thirty minutes. The meditation I wish to practice is Dacher’s (2006) quiet-mind exercise and also his deep breathing exercise. To foster greater psychological wellness I will wake up each morning and meditate to cleans my mind and start the day off on a positive note.

For my spiritual wellness I plan to go to church on Sunday’s.  The church will offer a community of like-minded people to share experiences and struggles. Being a part of a church community can also help me become more involved in the community.  Also using prayer to get rid of my stress is crucial.

Commitment

How will you assess your progress or lack of progress in the next six months?

Keeping track of my experiences will help me understand what is working and what is not working. I can continue to try new exercises until I find what is right for me. It almost sounds like journaling which I hate, but will also offer a look at what circumstances might not be fostering integral health.

 What strategies can you use to assist in maintaining your long-term practices for health and wellness?

Use the SMART philosophy, keep it simple, measureable, achievable, realistic goal oriented, and time based.  I have to make sure I don’t set myself up to fail, expect times of distraction, a relapse, but get back on track, use a friend as an exercise partner.  Use rewards as a means of motivation. 



















                                                Sources

Dacher, Elliott S. (2006), Integral Health. The Path to Human flourishing.

2 comments:

  1. I am with on reducing the stress that we are under. That stress bleeds into almost every aspect of life and sometimes feels like it is strangling us. I hope that you are successful in meeting your goals in your physical, mental and spiritual aspects of life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stress is really difficult to overcome sometimes but I found it helps to have a support system.

    ReplyDelete